This Not That: Pasta Carbonara
Love pasta carbonara, but not the thousands of calories it packs in every bowl? Here’s a healthier, and just as tasty alternative. Swap out the spaghetti for a wheat-based pasta, the normal bacon with extra lean turkey bacon, and instead of mixing the noodles with an egg and garlic cream mixture at the end – let the yolk do the work, and just top it off with a fried egg. Mix in the yolk yourself to cut out over 400 calories alone.
See? Healthy food doesn’t have to be so miserable.
- 1 cup of fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup of peas
- 1 chopped garlic clove
- 1 chopped slice of turkey bacon
- 4 oz. of whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 tbsp fresh parmesan
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Bring a pot of water to boil for the noodles, and sprinkle a few teaspoons of salt into the water.
- Add your noodles, heat for about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the noodles, and set aside.
- Heat a separate pan at medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of EVOO to the pan, and add your chopped turkey bacon, garlic and peas.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat for about 3-5 minutes, and add your spinach.
- When the spinach is wilted (which should take less than a minute) turn off the heat, pour it into a bowl, and set aside.
- With the pan at medium to high heat, add 1/4 tbsp of EVOO, and fry your egg (sunny side up) with the lid on top.
- Mix your noodles, vegetables, and turkey bacon together, and pour it on to a plate.
- Top it off with your fried egg, and a few tablespoons of fresh parmesan cheese.
You may also like: