Recipe Box: Parmesan Truffle Popcorn
Alright. I know I’m on a tiny streak of providing truffle-esque recipes that don’t actually involve any real truffles at all, but hey – not everybody can afford tiny little spheres of fungi that cost over $1,000 per pound. And yes – Anthony Bourdain once said that truffle oil is the “ketchup of the middle class”, but let’s be real. Ketchup on a bacon cheddar burger is magic, and I never saw anyone trying to dip their french fries into a raw tomato. So what if the fluid version is easier to splash on other foods? You know what else is magical? Coating popcorn in truffle oil, sprinkling it with truffle salt, and grating a blanket of fresh parmesan over it to enjoy with a nice glass of cab.After you’ve popped popcorn over a stove top – you’ll never want microwaved popcorn again.
I bought the truffle salt and oil from Screwtop in Arlington, VA where they have many gourmet items for truffle lovers (such as truffle honey). You can pick up raw popcorn kernels from any grocery store.
- Place a deep pot over high heat.
- Drizzle just enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Drop a kernel into the bottom of the pan and cover.
- When it pops, cover the bottom of the pan with an even amount of raw popcorn kernels (try not to overlap them).
- Keep the heat steady, and wait as the kernels pop.
- When the popcorn fills to the rim, or the popping begins to slow (1-2 seconds between pops) turn off the heat.
- Pour the popcorn into a large bowl.
- Drizzle a tbsp of truffle oil over the popcorn, and mix.
- Sprinkle the top with truffle salt.
- Grate a fresh block of parmesan cheese to cover the top, and enjoy.
You may also like: